Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's finally time!

I'm already a couple weeks behind my schedule, but I finally started my first plants of the season. It's snowing inside, but I'm pretending all is well and springtime is coming inside.

Today I started:
Baby Spinach
Lettuce
Leeks
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Beets
Kale
Basil
Oregano
Bell Peppers

I feel a little more prepared this year.  Last year was my first year gardening and I had no idea what I was doing.  Since last summer I have been saving all our sour cream and yogurt containers for transplants.  I have all my starter boxes from last year and all I had to buy was potting soil. I might also buy a couple more grow lamps because last year I started a lot less plants inside. Overall,  I think this year's garden is going to be so much cheaper!

I do have to admit that a couple of the items I started were probably too early and/or didn't need to start in the house. I'm getting antsy though and really am missing my super fresh veggies. I started the bell peppers now so I can experiment with them.  Last year they didn't blossom until right before the last frost so I barely got any.  Maybe if I start them early enough I can get some peppers before September! 

I decided last minute not to do onions because I should have started them by February 1st if I was going to do them. The Brussels Sprouts are a stretch too and may be too late.  It's worth the experiment because I already had the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment